1/2 Photos of Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts
1 hr 25 mins
Our family really likes brussels sprouts, and adding cheese and bacon makes this an irresistable side vegetable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 lbs Brussels sprouts, cut in half (about 5 cups)
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove any discolored outer leaves and trim stem portion of brussels sprouts. In a 3-quart saucepan, place brussels sprouts; add enough water just to cover. Heat to boiling; boil 6-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and return to saucepan; set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels; set aside. Drain all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from skillet.
- 3Add butter to bacon fat in skillet. Heat over medium-high heat until butter is melted. Add onion; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender. Add flour, thyme and pepper; cook and stir until well-blended. Gradually stir in half-and-half and bouillon granules. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese.
- 4Pour sauce over brussels sprouts in saucepan; mix gently. Spoon into 2-quart casserole. Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes, sprinkling with crumbled bacon and Cheddar cheese for last 10 minutes of baking, until hot and bubbly. Serve right away.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.8
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 34.9 mg
- Sodium 377.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 8.1 g