Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is so good! it makes a wonderful dish for a brunch get together. Plan ahead this needs to chill for 6 hours. You can really use any kind of cheese for this, I have even used Provolone. Don't cube the bread slices for this, leave the bread in one slice, and use day-old bread!
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
A very tasty brunch/lunch or light supper dish. I cheated slightly and used canned asparagus, and I used low-fat milk (what I always use) and I used some (several days old) ancient grains organic wholegrain bread. I also sneaked in some minced garlic and dried oregano, in step three. This was quick to prepare, then I left it overnight. We all loved this and all came back for seconds rather than eat any dessert: always a sure sign of a super recipe! Another big thank you, KITTENCAL!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus (hard ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 12 slices bread (1/2-inch thick, use day-old bread for this)
- 2 3⁄4 cups half-and-half cream (or use full-fat milk)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 small green onions, finely chopped (or to taste)
- seasoning salt
- black pepper (or use white salt)
- 3 cups shredded swiss cheese (or to taste, or use a similar tasting cheese)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 12 x 8-inch oval baking dish (or a 12-cup baking dish).
- Steam the asparagus for about 2-3 minutes or until slightly tender; drain and place in ice water or very cold water; drain well and dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl whisk together half and half, eggs, seasoning salt and pepper until well blended; add in the chopped green onions.
- Place 4 slices of bread in the bottom of the baking dish overlapping if necessary.
- Top with 1/3 EACH asparagus then the Swiss cheese; repeat the layers two more times (4 slices bread, asparagus then cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over the top over the top.
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum 6 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake set the oven to 350°F (second-lowest rack).
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until the center is set and golden.