Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This yummy, easy dish was a recipe of my grandmother, who lived to 103 years! It is great comfort food served over rice, on toast for a Sunday night supper, or for a weekend brunch. It also teams well with Chile con Carne for a buffet meal. Even people who don't normally like canned asparagus, enjoy it. Note: fresh asparagus is not suitable as a substitute.
- 1 (10 ounce) cangreen asparagus spears
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, and sliced
- 8 ounces matured cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup blanched sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Drain asparagus and reserve liquid.
- Arrange layers of asparagus, egg and cheddar cheese in a shallow, greased, casserole dish.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter, add flour and stir over moderate heat for a couple of minutes.
- Slowly add evaporated milk and reserved asparagus liquid, and bring to the boil while continuously stirring, until thickened.
- Pour sauce over contents of casserole dish.
- Sprinkle almonds and parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in a moderately hot oven (425-450 deg. F) 25 to 30 minutes.
This recipe sounds very good but I am puzzled by Step 3, (Melt butter) since butter isn't among the ingredients listed.