Recipe by AltoRose
My mom made this for every holiday dinner when I was growing up. It's a thick, rich side dish perfect for potlucks and family gatherings.
Top Review by bmcnichol
I cut this recipe in half for my family. I followed the recipe exactly as written. I liked the taste of the cheese sauce with the asparagus juice in it. My cheese sauce was pretty thick so I added a bit of milk to thin it up a bit. Next time I would cut the flour back a bit. This was a nice change for us. Made for Spring PAC 2009.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans asparagus
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 pint light cream
- 6 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain liquid from canned asparagus into a liquid measuring cup and add enough cream to equal 3 cups of liquid.
- Place drained asparagus in a casserole dish.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and a dash of salt and pepper, allow to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cream mixture and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Turn heat to low; add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over the asparagus and heat in the oven for 15-20 minutes.