Recipe by Maggie Brooks
This is my personal recipe. I love Stouffer's mac and cheese and I decided to take a chance at making my own. This is pretty close and in a house of picky eaters, the first time I made it--it was gone in minutes. I have a rather large family, so you can halve the recipe to make for a smaller family. Also the larger recipe is good if you want to serve as a meal.
- 1 lb macaroni (I use either elbows or springs)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer to shred myself)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced small
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- This step will take approximately 20 minutes, so preheat oven to 350° while working on this step.
- Put macaroni to boil.
- In a medium pot heat butter and sauté onions.
- Add milk, flour, salt and pepper; bring to a rolling boil.
- Slowly add cheddar cheese, stirring while adding.
- After cheddar has dissolved, add the mozzarella, stirring while adding.
- Drain macaroni.
- Add macaroni directly to the cheese mixture in the pot.
- Pour mac and cheese mixture into large lasagna pan.
- Put in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden brown.