Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is my personal recipe. I love Stouffer's mac and cheese and I decided to take a chance at making my own. This is pretty close and in a house of picky eaters, the first time I made it--it was gone in minutes. I have a rather large family, so you can halve the recipe to make for a smaller family. Also the larger recipe is good if you want to serve as a meal.
- 1 lb macaroni (I use either elbows or springs)
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer to shred myself)
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced small
- salt and pepper
- This step will take approximately 20 minutes, so preheat oven to 350° while working on this step.
- Put macaroni to boil.
- In a medium pot heat butter and sauté onions.
- Add milk, flour, salt and pepper; bring to a rolling boil.
- Slowly add cheddar cheese, stirring while adding.
- After cheddar has dissolved, add the mozzarella, stirring while adding.
- Drain macaroni.
- Add macaroni directly to the cheese mixture in the pot.
- Pour mac and cheese mixture into large lasagna pan.
- Put in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden brown.
Paprika is an awsome seasoning too add at the end and parmesan cheese. Sometimes bacon botz r gd too?
I have been making this recipe for years now my whloe family loves it. I shred myself too. Make this you won't regret it
This was a decent macaroni & cheese, but it didn't approach the Stouffer's for richness of flavor. Maybe a sharper Cheddar would have bumped it up a notch? I made a half recipe & did the cream sauce portion in the microwave, otherwise followed the recipe exactly.