This is my personal recipe. I love Stouffer's mac and cheese and I decided to take a chance at making my own. This is pretty close and in a house of picky eaters, the first time I made it--it was gone in minutes. I have a rather large family, so you can halve the recipe to make for a smaller family. Also the larger recipe is good if you want to serve as a meal.
- This step will take approximately 20 minutes, so preheat oven to 350° while working on this step.
- Put macaroni to boil.
- In a medium pot heat butter and sauté onions.
- Add milk, flour, salt and pepper; bring to a rolling boil.
- Slowly add cheddar cheese, stirring while adding.
- After cheddar has dissolved, add the mozzarella, stirring while adding.
- Drain macaroni.
- Add macaroni directly to the cheese mixture in the pot.
- Pour mac and cheese mixture into large lasagna pan.
- Put in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden brown.
I have been making this recipe for years now my whloe family loves it. I shred myself too. Make this you won't regret it
This was a decent macaroni & cheese, but it didn't approach the Stouffer's for richness of flavor. Maybe a sharper Cheddar would have bumped it up a notch? I made a half recipe & did the cream sauce portion in the microwave, otherwise followed the recipe exactly.
this made for a very comforting macaroni and cheese, I didn't have any mozzerella so I just used extra cheddar, I also added about 3 ounces of cream cheese when I added the shredded cheeses. It made it just a little more creamier. Thanks!