Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A local diner served a version of a "hot brown" sandwich, baked in an individual gratin dish. When they closed, we all missed that dish and have tried to get as close as possible to the recipe. This is the best attempt and produces a truly cheesy sauce with potential for lots of different uses. Assemble the dish either in individual, oven-safe ramekins or a 9x13 casserole dish.
- 1 (16 ounce) jarragu double cheese pasta sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz (cheese spread)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients in medium saucepan and heat til cheese is melted and sauce is blended. Add more milk if too thick.
- Assemble individual dishes by putting a slice of white bread, torn into pieces, into the dish and top with cooked, sliced turkey breast.
- Pour sauce over.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and a little chopped tomato.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until begins to brown on top.
- If making a larger casserole, assemble in same order.
- May need to bake a little longer.