Full of cheesy goodness. From Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated gruyere cheese
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups brie cheese (rindless and diced, cut from a 1-pound wedge)
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg (scant)
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 3/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 8 teaspoons whipping cream (if making one day ahead)
- 1Mix all cheeses and set aside 1 cup for topping; cover and chill.
- 2Melt 4 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over meduim heat.
- 3Add flour and stir until mixture turns golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add thyme and nutmeg.
- 5Gradually whisk in milk.
- 6Simmer until thickened and smooth, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
- 7Add cheese from large bowl.
- 8Stir until melted and smooth.
- 9Melt 1 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 10Add breadcrumbs; toss.
- 11Stir until golden, about 2 minutes.
- 12Transfer to plate.
- 13Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 14Cook pasta in boiling salted water until tender but firm to bite.
- 16Transfer to large bowl.
- 17Pour cheese sauce over; toss.
- 18Divide among eight 1 1/4 cvup custard cups.
- 19Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- 20Place cups on rimmed baking sheet.
- 21Sprinkle tops with breadcruimbs.
- 22Bake until it begins to bubble and tops are golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- 23IF PREPARIING A DAY AHEAD:
- 24Cover with foil; chill.
- 25Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon cream.
- 26Cover with foil; bake 15 minutes.
- 28Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 29Bake until it begins to bubble and tops are golden brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheesemonger's Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 709.0
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 109.6 mg
- Sodium 643.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 28.1 g