My idea of perfect scalloped potatoes. The more flavor the beef stock has, the better the final dish will be. If this isn't rich enough for you double the amount of butter. It will add smoothness as well. There is no salt called for so if your stock is saltless, add a sprinkling to each layer.
- Grease a 2 quart casserole.
- Peel and slice potatoes thinly; layer them in casserole; sprinkle each with layer with pepper and dot with butter; repeat until casserole is filled.
- Arrange the top layer of potato slices in a circular or rectangular pattern, depending on shape of dish.
- Pour stock in until it reaches just under top layer; dot the top liberally with butter.
- Bake at 350° for 60 minutes; top of casserole will be crusty.
- If desired, minced garlic and finely chopped onion can be added to the layers.