Recipe by AB_Fan
In Wisconsin, America's Dairyland, nearly everything tastes better with cheese. This creamy, rich broccoli soup is perfect fare for a winter weekend. Serve with warm, crusty bread or crispy croutons. Yum!
Top Review by mama smurf
This was a delicious and easy soup to make...I would recommend it to everyone!! I cut the recipe in half for DH and I, followed the directions to a tee and served it with some garlic bread. Next time I might add some cayenne pepper for a little zip and try some wine like a previous cook posted (but you really don't need it). Took it down to the coast and totally enjoyed our lunch. Thank you. Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup Tag game 2009.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs finely chopped broccoli (fresh is best but frozen is fine)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes (I use Wyler's brand)
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 lb cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄4 lb margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer first 7 ingredients together in a large saucepan until brocolli is tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add cheese and margarine. Stir until dissolved.
- In a small bowl, mix in milk and flour, stirring until smooth and no floury lumps remain.
- Add this slurry to the soup, stirring constantly until the soup bubbles in the mixture. Cook for 5-10 minutes more, then remove from heat and serve immediately.