Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
In Wisconsin, America's Dairyland, nearly everything tastes better with cheese. This creamy, rich broccoli soup is perfect fare for a winter weekend. Serve with warm, crusty bread or crispy croutons. Yum!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs finely chopped broccoli (fresh is best but frozen is fine)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes (I use Wyler's brand)
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 lb cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄4 lb margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- Simmer first 7 ingredients together in a large saucepan until brocolli is tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add cheese and margarine. Stir until dissolved.
- In a small bowl, mix in milk and flour, stirring until smooth and no floury lumps remain.
- Add this slurry to the soup, stirring constantly until the soup bubbles in the mixture. Cook for 5-10 minutes more, then remove from heat and serve immediately.
This was a delicious and easy soup to make...I would recommend it to everyone!! I cut the recipe in half for DH and I, followed the directions to a tee and served it with some garlic bread. Next time I might add some cayenne pepper for a little zip and try some wine like a previous cook posted (but you really don't need it). Took it down to the coast and totally enjoyed our lunch. Thank you. Made for Zaar Alphabet Soup Tag game 2009.
Three things to be said here... 1. YUMMY! 2.EASY! 3. TRY IT! Sept07 - Added a couple things when I made this recipe again and if you like a bit more spice, this adds flavour without adding "heat". Along with the first 7 ingrediants, I added 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 small tin of chopped green chili's and half a cup of dry white wine. Also, I used butter instead of margarine. This recipe is so easy and tasty - perfect cold weather meal on a busy day.
Yummy! That cumin adds a great flavor but is still subtle. To cut some fat, I just halved the amount of margarine (I used butter) to 1/8 lb (1/4 cup). Nice, thick and creamy. A keeper for sure. Thanx!