Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
The day after Thanksgiving, 2011, my family challenged me and my daughter to create a dessert using three special ingredients. They selected marshmallows, tortillas, and catchup. They specified that we could create a catchup flavored from a fruit other than tomato. This recipe is adapted from the original my daughter and I came up with. Differences: The original crust was made by tearing up three large flour tortillas and frying them in hot vegetable oil until very crisp. We then added 1/4 cup of sugar and used a blender to grind it into crumbs. We added 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and 4 tablespoons of butter. The original recipe also included 1/2 cup of miniature marshmallows mixed in with the cheesecake batter. The rest of the recipe is as shown. The tortilla crumb was delicious, but not worth the extra effort. The marshmallows tossed into the batter didn't hurt the recipe, but didn't help it either.
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup canned peaches in light syrup, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and drained
- 1 1⁄3 cups canned peaches in light syrup, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and drained
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup peach syrup, reserved from can
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 dash nutmeg, ground
- 1 dash clove, ground
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For the crust: Mix the melted butter in a bowl along with the graham cracker crumbs.
- Press into the bottom of a 10-12 inch spring form pan.
- Bake for seven minutes, to set.
- For the filling: Cream together the softened cream cheese and sugar.
- Blend in the eggs and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour 1/2 of the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Evenly distribute the 1 1/2 cups of cubed peaches over the cheese mixture.
- Pour the remaining cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- For the topping: Place the remaining ingredients into a pan, except for the water and corn starch and optional marshmallows.
- Cook over medium heat, until it boils (stir frequently).
- Continue cooking over low to medium heat until it reduces by about 1/2.
- Mash the peach pieces and continue cooking for five more minutes.
- Mix the water and corn starch.
- Turn up the heat until boiling.
- Add the corn starch, slowly, until it reaches the thickness of catchup.
- Allow the catchup and cake to cool thoroughly.
- Generously spread the catchup on top of the cake and decorate with marshmallows, if desired.