Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Everybody needs at least one cheesecake recipe in their "repertoire". Cheesecake is a favourite with many "tea-time", or "coffee clutch". The caloric pit-falls of this decadent dessert can be freely discussed with more-or-less guilt... if at all. This recipe had been in my mother's collection for many years before all was passed on to me.
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 24 ounces cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 eggs, plus
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄3 cups peeled and finely chopped peaches
- 2 medium peaches
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small semisweet chocolate bar, cut into shavings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter.
- Mix well.
- Press into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and cornstarch.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time and egg yolk beating after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Stir in heavy cream.
- Fold in chopped peaches.
- Pour mixture into the springform pan, over graham cracker crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 225 degrees F.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the centre no longer looks wet or shiny.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the inside edge of the pan.
- Turn the oven off; return the cake to the oven for an additional 1 hour.
- Chill, in the refrigerator uncovered, overnight.
- Toss together the peaches, lemon juice and sugar.
- Arrange on top of the cheesecake.
- Chill well until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with the chocolate shavings.
This cheesecake is excellent. I had plenty of peaches and wanted to make something different and decadent. Wow is all I can say.