Recipe by Reefbubbles
This is one of those recipes that seem like they might have potential so you cut it out and save it. Finally get around to trying it and find it is now a regular feature in your meal planning. It is great because it can be easily adjusted to be low-fat. Leave out the egg (Won't notice its missing), use the whole wheat variety of cinnamon raisin bread (check the points and get the lowest), use 1/3 less fat cream cheese (not fat free), omit butter add Brummel and Brown. These are great left over. I even pack them for lunch, they are great cold! This is from Woman's World Magazine.
Top Review by Slatts
I clipped this too and ran across it while going through my recipe file. I was going to get it put on Zaar but you beat me to it! I can't wait to try it this week and I will keep in mind your adaptions. Thanks for sharing this. I think it could be quite popular!
- 5 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, toasted
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 medium egg
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 6 medium apples, preferably Gala
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In food processor process raisin bread until medium-coarse crumbs form. In bowl combine 1-cup crumbs, cream cheese, egg, 1/2-cup pecans and 2 tablespoons sugar; reserve.
- In separate bowl combine remaining crumbs, pecans and sugar with butter; reserve.
- Cut top 1/4 of each apple. With knife remove apple cores (without removing bottom) With spoon or melon baller scoop some extra apple from hole in center to make slightly larger.
- Fill each apple with cream cheese mixture, mounding on top. Press some of pecan-crumb mixture onto tops. Place apples in ungreased 13"x9" baking pan.
- Stir together juice and honey; pour over apples and into pan. Cover with foil; bake until just tender; spooning juices over apples 2-3 times during baking time. Bake approximately 40-45 minutes. Cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in pot over high heat bring liquid from pan to boil. Cook until thickened, 3 minutes approximately Serve apples with syrup.