I've been making this since the 1970's and it's great for satisfying that cheesecake craving. For pot luck or family gatherings, double the recipe and serve in a trifle bowl. Choose any type of pie filling, but I've found when doubling the recipe, one can of filling and one can of coconut is adequate. My personal favorite is blueberry.
- Combine vanilla pudding mix, sour cream and softened cream cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- With electric mixer, whip until smooth.
- Slowly add sugar, incorporating fully.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Spoon mixture in glasses or trifle dish until half full.
- Spoon a layer of pie filling on top, reserving about 1/2 cup for garnishing.
- Add the remainder of the cream cheese mixture over the pie filling layer.
- Garnish with the reserved 1/2 cup filling and sprinkle with coconut.
- May be consumed immediately or refrigerated for future use.