Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
New York Jewish cheesecake
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter, plus
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 lb cream cheese, broken into small pieces
- Blend the cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and the 1/4 up of melted butter, and line the bottom of an 8- or 9-inch ungreased springform pan.
- Blend the sour cream, 1/2 cup of sugar, the eggs, and vanilla in a good blender for 1 minute. Add the cream cheese. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter through the top of the machine. Pour into the springform pan.
- Bake in the lower third of a 325 oven for 45 minutes.
- When the baking is finished, remove the cake the oven, and turn the oven on to broil. Broil the cheesecake just until the top begins to show attractive spots of brown.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, or preferably overnight, before cutting and serving.
- This is not a low-calorie version. Cut it into small pieces-it is very rich.