Recipe by The unknown chef
This is my most requested recipe. If you follow the recipe it should not crack. Don't let the amount of steps fool you; this is really easy to make. Tips; Make sure the bottom of your oven is clean. The high temperature will make any oils left in your oven smoke. Use the same hand to line the pan as you do to mix the crust. Make sure your butter is soft and cool, not melted. If you don't have ginger snaps use all graham crackers. Crush them "FINE" in a large ziplock bag with a rolling pin. Crack all your eggs in a bowl, then just pour them in mixer (no shells). Reduced fat cream cheese, sour cream, and cookies taste great in this recipe. Enjoy
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham crackers, crushed fine
- 1⁄2 cup gingersnap cookie, crushed fine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened (not melted)
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounces frozen strawberries (thawed) (optional) or 16 ounces mixed berries (thawed) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Position your rack near the top of your oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Put crushed cookies, sugar, salt and butter into a large bowl and mix the ingredients together until combined.
- Pour the ingredients into a 10-inch spring form pan.
- Using your hand press the mixture into the bottom and 1-1/2" up the sides of a 10" spring form pan.
- Do the sides first, it’s easier.
- Place the pan in the preheated 350-degree oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set aside to cool while you continue to make your filling.
- TURN YOUR OVEN UP TO 450 DEGREES.
- Put the cream cheese and sugar's into a large mixing bowl and cream on med high speed for 4 minutes making sure to scrap down the sides.
- Using a medium speed on your mixer add the eggs 2 at a time allowing 1/2 minute between additions.
- Make sure to scrap down the side of the bowl a couple of times during the addition of the eggs.
- After all the eggs are mixed in, set your mixer to low speed and add the sour cream and vanilla slowly and mix for 1 minute.
- Pour your batter into the cooled crust and put it in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After baking for 15 minutes (without opening the door) turn the temperature down to 230 degrees and bake for 90 minutes.
- After baking 90 minutes turn off the oven and open the door just wide enough to let out some of the heat.
- After 30 minutes remove cake from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack to room temperature than refrigerate.
- Mix the thawed straw berries or mixed berries with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and put on the top or on the side of the cheesecake wedges.