Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
The richly decadent sweet and tart of Key Limes in a creamy mouth watering cheesecake. Forget the pie, grab this instead!! Source: S. Chokel
- 1 1⁄4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 3 whole large eggs (or 4 large eggs)
- sweetened whipped cream
- julienned candied lime peel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Combine crumbs, butter and 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar in a bowl. Stir well to coat all crumbs.
- Press the crumbs onto the bottom of an 8" springform pan.
- Bake crust for 5 minutes and set aside.
- In large deep mixing bowl combine cream cheese, 1 cup (225 ml) sugar and the vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Add key lime juice and beaten eggs and continue to beat until smooth and creamy.
- Pour filling onto baked crust.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes.
- If top turns light brown, it's done.
- Remove from the oven and cut cake loose where it is attached to sides of pan and cool until it reaches room temperature.
- Place in the fridgerator to chill.
- When chilled, remove the springform pan sides and cut.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream and the lime strips is used.
This makes a rather nice, quite firm cheesecake. The name and ingredient list don't match. I used lime juice in the amount specified, and also about 1/2 teaspoon lime zest in place of the vanilla. I think I would still like more lime flavor, though there will be no difficulty getting this cake eaten. I used my new convection oven, so had a bit of trouble (unrelated to the recipe) adjusting the temperature and baking time. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. I think almost any citrus fruit, certainly lemon or lime, plus more zest would be appropriate in this.