Prep 20 mins
Cook 48 hrs
This is a terrific recipe if you're looking to try an alternative to the cream cheese cheesecakes.
- 2 lbs dry curd cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 cup soft butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 4 egg yolks, plus
- 1 whole egg
- 3⁄4 cup thick sweet cream (whipping cream)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Press dry curds through a metal sieve using a heavy duty wooden spoon.
- Cream butter, vanilla and sugar, then combine with cheese.
- Beat egg yolks and egg together, blend into cheese/butter mixture, and stir in remaining ingredients.
- Line 2 500 gram size clay flower pots with a double thickness dampened cheese cloth.
- Fill containers with cheese mixture, pressing firmly.
- Cover with dampened cheese cloth and small plate with a heavy weight on top.
- Place each cheese cake in a pie plate (to catch milky drippings) in the fridge and allow to drain for at least 24 hours (48 hrs even better).
- Unmold each cake, removing all cheese cloths.
- Replace in fridge until ready to serve.
- Decorate with strawberries cut in half just before serving, if desired.
This was good- but the texture is different than what I expected- maybe I did something wrong, but it was a little mushy.