Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Have not tried this yet, but it sounds like a great idea. I imagine a large quantity of this could be made and kept warm in the crock pot when you are entertaining guests.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package Velveeta cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 sandwich buns
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, salt and pepper until thoroughly cooked.
- In a 3 1/2 to 4 quart crock pot, combine cooked ground beef and all remaining ingredients except buns; mix well.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 hours.
- To serve, spoon mixture onto sandwich buns.
We enjoyed this tasty main dish for a casual Super Bowl gathering, but I'm taking a star off b/c the cooking time is all wrong. The meat is already cooked before it goes into the Crock-Pot, and in 6 hours, this would be a burnt mess. I browned the meat and onion, combined the other ingredients in the Crock-Pot, and the cheese was melted within 90 minutes on low - so I then turned it off for a bit before we ate it. I also added about 1/2 Tbsp of montreal steak seasoning, and served on whole-wheat buns with mustard, sliced purple onion and tomato slices.
This isn't gourmet but it is tasty and enjoyable. I didn't use the crockpot; I made it in a skillet, simmered it for an hour or so. Makes a great sandwich; the cheese holds it together so it doesn't crumble all over the plate like a sloppy joe. Kids should love it. Any standard burger condiments work well with it. Thanks, Marie for a very useful recipe.
I want to change my review. I first gave this 3 stars because it lacked something. But after eating the leftovers for lunch I realized that I think it would be good with Pepper Jack cheese along with the Velveeta (half and half mixture maybe) and maybe just a tiny bit of salsa in the crockpot as well. I'm going to try that next time because this really is a super easy meal! Thanks!