Recipe by iluvmythomas
Nice hearty soup.
Top Review by Erika S.
I had to tweak the recipe a bit for our tastes, but once I did that, this soup was a hit! The recipe, as prepared, is quite bland. Being in the south, we're used to a lot of flavor -- I had to add a lot more seasoning - salt, garlic powder, a teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules - to suit our tastes. Additionally, I used a bit more Velveeta than called for and threw in a handful of grated cheese blend. Once it was complete, it earned a hefty five stars. I'm always sorry to see folks post that a recipe had no flavor, or lacked a particular spice. That's what we do as cooks - we improvise until it suits our tastes!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (26 ounce) bag frozen hash browns
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Season and brown meat to taste.
- Drain and put into a Dutch oven.
- Add onion, carrots, basil, parsley, broth, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix and melt butter and flour until bubbly.
- Add to soup mixture; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add cheese, milk, salt and pepper.
- Cook until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.