Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my attempt to recreate the cheeseburger soup that was featured on Diners, Drive-inns & Dives. I hope I did the soup justice. Tip: Kraft has discontinued their 1 pound box (the blue box) of Deluxe American Cheese, so either you can use Kraft Deli Deluxe, American Cheese 24 slices equals 1 pound. Or ask your local deli for a pound of American cheese.
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 946.36 ml water
- 29.58 ml chicken base
- 473.19 ml half-and-half
- 453.59 g American cheese, cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 44.37 ml butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 709.77 ml iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 59.14 ml flour mixed with 3/4 cup water (slurry)
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter and sweat onion until translucent.
- In a large skillet add ground beef, and cook until browned and a bit crispy.
- Add to onions chicken base, slurry, and water bring to boil, turn heat down to medium and add half & half and American cheese.
- Cook until all the cheese is melted, not boiling.
- Add hamburger, lettuce and tomatoes, stir and serve.