Recipe by Douglas Poe
This is my attempt to recreate the cheeseburger soup that was featured on Diners, Drive-inns & Dives. I hope I did the soup justice. Tip: Kraft has discontinued their 1 pound box (the blue box) of Deluxe American Cheese, so either you can use Kraft Deli Deluxe, American Cheese 24 slices equals 1 pound. Or ask your local deli for a pound of American cheese.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken base
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 lb American cheese, cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour mixed with 3/4 cup water (slurry)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter and sweat onion until translucent.
- In a large skillet add ground beef, and cook until browned and a bit crispy.
- Add to onions chicken base, slurry, and water bring to boil, turn heat down to medium and add half & half and American cheese.
- Cook until all the cheese is melted, not boiling.
- Add hamburger, lettuce and tomatoes, stir and serve.