Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my attempt to recreate the cheeseburger soup that was featured on Diners, Drive-inns & Dives. I hope I did the soup justice. Tip: Kraft has discontinued their 1 pound box (the blue box) of Deluxe American Cheese, so either you can use Kraft Deli Deluxe, American Cheese 24 slices equals 1 pound. Or ask your local deli for a pound of American cheese.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter and sweat onion until translucent.
- In a large skillet add ground beef, and cook until browned and a bit crispy.
- Add to onions chicken base, slurry, and water bring to boil, turn heat down to medium and add half & half and American cheese.
- Cook until all the cheese is melted, not boiling.
- Add hamburger, lettuce and tomatoes, stir and serve.