Recipe by theveggiedisguiser
A delicious cheese sauce based soup made with ground beef and lots of veggies! My 2 year old daughter licks her bowl clean everytime I make a pot of this soup, not to mention anyone else I serve it to.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 carrots
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta (or other small noodle)
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add ground beef and stir frequently until browned.
- Drain ground beef.
- Chop celery & carrots into small pieces. Add to onions and beef and continue to saute for a few minutes.
- Add broth, alphabet noodles, and seasonings.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring often.
- Meanwhile in a smaller saucepan melt butter over medium heat (to begin making the cheese sauce).
- Stir flour in to make paste, then add milk.
- Continue stirring on low heat until sauce begins to thicken and then add cheese. Continue to stir until cheese has melted.
- Add cheese sauce to soup and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low heat until noodles and vegetables are tender (approximately 1 hour).
- Enjoy bowl, after bowl, after bowl -- until it's all gone!