Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my SIL's recipe. We think it is yummy. Rich and cheesy.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup shredded carrot
- 3⁄4 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded Velveeta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- In a 3 quart saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, sauté onion, carrots, celery, basil, and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes, and beef; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in small skillet, melt remaining butter.
- Add flour; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add to soup; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese, milk, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
This soup is so good. I use 1 cup of Velveeta and 1 cup of shredded cheese in this soup, and it still comes out great!
In New Mexico, we add green chile to everything. It was really good in this recipe. Very good soup.
What a delicious soup. I made this for supper tonight. It warmed our tummies. I followed the recipe exactly and it isperfection! My DH loved it (he loves all of NurseDi's recipes.though). I'm taking the rest for our lunch tomorrow.