Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This hearty and flavorful soup is requested all the time in our house. Everyone who tries this just goes crazy for it!
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup grated carrot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed red potatoes, unpeeled in good bite size cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups grated American cheese
- 6 slices crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
- In a large pot brown hamburger. Drain fat from pot and set browned meat aside into a bowl. In the same pot saute onion, celery, carrots and garlic till tender (2-4 minutes). Add broth and bring to a boil. Add red potatoes, parsley, salt and pepper to pot and simmer 10-15 minutes, or till potatoes are tender. In another smaller pot melt butter. Add flour and whisk till completely combined; cook 1 minute. Gradually add in milk, whisking constantly, till completely combined. Bring to a slow boil till bubbly and thickened. Take off of heat and stir in cheese till melted. Add cheese mixture to the other pot along with the browned beef and crumbled bacon. Stir till completely combined. Heat to serving temperature and serve.
yum!! used cheddar and velveeta instead of american. I added the cheese after combining so I didn't have two cheesy pots to clean. And as a veggie fanatic, I added frozen mixed. Always trying to sneak veg into the kids!
This is incredible. I used 2L of water and 2 Spring Vegetable soup packets instead of the broth and I cooked finely chopped bacon with my beef mince. My whole fussy family love it (Ages 3 to 41) and went back for seconds - in fact Mr 3 had thirds. When I found this recipe I couldn't really believe it would work but tried it anyway and am absolutely thrilled with the results. A real keeper.
Spring PAC 2008: Delicious!! This soup is so hearty and filling!! I will be making this again!