Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very hearty soup. I crumble cooked bacon on top. This makes a meal with the addition of a loaf of crusty french bread.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced green pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained
- 3 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded American cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In stock pot, combine the first 10 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cooked beef and milk; heat through.
- Mix flour and water.
- Add to soup, bring back to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; stir in cheese and cayenne.
This is a quick and easy soup that can be made from pantry items on hand. Will make often during the cold months.
Very tasty, filling soup...and so easy to prepare! It did take me quite a bit longer with the preparation, but only because I doubled the recipe. I didn't add in the cayenne because of the children, but instead added it to my own bowl. I served this with french bread as suggested. I'll definitely make this one again.
Thanks to the new chatroom I found out what cheese I could substitute for American cheese! lol This is really delicious, the cayenne gives it a nice kick and is very filling. Served it with crusty rolls. A keeper. Thanks for posting Inez. =)