Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great comfort soup that is a meal in itself. Even the kids will like it, just tell them the name of it. I like to serve it with some crusty bread and real butter. I found this in Taste of Home magazine.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup carrot (shredded)
- 3⁄4 cup celery (diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In same saucepan saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tbsp butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.
This was very different than all of my other recipes (and very tasty). I omitted the onion, increased to carrot and celery to 1 cup each, added 4.5 cups of broth instead of 3 and increased the beef to 1 lb. Also I skipped all of the butter and salt.
This is the best cheeseburger soup out there Make this one!
Yummy! This was great with fresh breadsticks and a salad! I easily doubled the recipe, and then froze half. It froze AND reheated well! If you want a hearty and flavor-ful soup that is family friendly, this is it! To get fancy, you can serve it with shredded lettuce and pickles on top...or if you are naughty you can add chopped cooked bacon, too.