Recipe by Petdrwife
This is a great comfort soup that is a meal in itself. Even the kids will like it, just tell them the name of it. I like to serve it with some crusty bread and real butter. I found this in Taste of Home magazine.
Top Review by qwerty3020
This was very different than all of my other recipes (and very tasty). I omitted the onion, increased to carrot and celery to 1 cup each, added 4.5 cups of broth instead of 3 and increased the beef to 1 lb. Also I skipped all of the butter and salt.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup carrot (shredded)
- 3⁄4 cup celery (diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In same saucepan saute onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tbsp butter until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat; blend in sour cream.