Recipe by Cookie Jarvis
My family loves this and always asks me to make it. It's unbelievable that this recipe sat untouched in my recipe box for twenty years before I decided to give it a try. My mother used to make it for us and I always remembered liking it. All ingredients are readily available and it's a great way to use leftover rice. Feel free to play around with the spices in both the meat and the rice. I have used seasoning salt and plan to make my next one with pizza spices. Also, if you have no grated cheese, you can use processed cheese slices.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, dry
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, onions, green pepper, seasonings and 3/4 cup tomato sauce.
- Spread in greased pie pan, forming a shell.
- Mix rice, half of the cheese and remaining sauce, as well as any additional spices you may like.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on meat shell.
- Fill with rice mixture.
- Cover rice only with foil, folding remainder in to form a circle.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.