Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
My family loves this and always asks me to make it. It's unbelievable that this recipe sat untouched in my recipe box for twenty years before I decided to give it a try. My mother used to make it for us and I always remembered liking it. All ingredients are readily available and it's a great way to use leftover rice. Feel free to play around with the spices in both the meat and the rice. I have used seasoning salt and plan to make my next one with pizza spices. Also, if you have no grated cheese, you can use processed cheese slices.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, dry
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces tomato sauce, divided
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese, divided
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, onions, green pepper, seasonings and 3/4 cup tomato sauce.
- Spread in greased pie pan, forming a shell.
- Mix rice, half of the cheese and remaining sauce, as well as any additional spices you may like.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on meat shell.
- Fill with rice mixture.
- Cover rice only with foil, folding remainder in to form a circle.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees.