Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Taste of Home. I found some great pitas and I'm looking at different recipes to try and posting here for safekeeping.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice, cooked
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 pita breads, halved (6 inches)
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the rice, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in cheese; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Spoon 1/2 cup into each pita half.
I have to laugh as dummy me bought pocketless pita's so I made mine as a pizza style dish. The flavor was delicious and we will be making it again! Thanks for posting such a quick & easy meal. Made for Photo tag 2012.
Keeper for sure.
Other than adding a little extra onions, and cutting down down on the green peppers, these were fantastic. Loved the quickness, and the flavors in this too. Making this again for the kids ..They loved these. Made for 1-2-3 hits.