Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
David came up with this recipe yesterday for our oldest son's return from Band Camp. Our son said the camp food was something akin to packing materials and was nothing but sheer torture! In honor of our son the family burger fiend and since David was making pita pizzas anyway, he decided to combine the two into this recipe. Needless to say, our son absolutely devoured the cheeseburger pita and asked for more the next day. We hope you all enjoy it as much as he did! (But do try to eat it a little more slowly, okay? ;D)
- 6 whole wheat pita bread (not split)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons catsup
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce (we like KC Masterpiece)
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 dill pickle slices (optional)
- vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute ground meat with onion powder, granulated garlic, and black pepper until brown.
- Assemble as follows:.
- Lightly cover one pita with 1 tbsp catsup and 1 tbsp barbeque sauce.
- Layer 1 oz shredded cheese over sauce.
- Layer 1/3 meat on top of cheese.
- Layer 1/3 onion on top of meat.
- Layer 1 oz shredded cheese on top of onion.
- Add sliced pickles, if desired.
- Top with a second pita brushed with vegetable oil.
- Place assembled sandwiches on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until top pita is golden brown.
- Remove from baking sheet and place on cooling racks. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Cut sandwiches in half and serve warm.