Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
DS and I saw this made on one of Paula Deen's shows. DS wanted to try it so we did. It was lots of fun and pretty tasty. I have changed it slightly since as written didn't work for us. (I can't divide puff pastry into 5 neat squares!) This recipe could easily be adapted to suit many tastes - add your own condiments or change it up entirely! We added caramelized onions. Times do not include puff pastry thaw time.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning (such as Montreal)
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning, sauce
- 4 slices cheese (American, Swiss, sharp cheddar or one of your choosing)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- Let frozen puff pastry sit at room temperature for approximately 20 minutes to thaw enough to easily work with it.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and preheat grill or stovetop pan.
- Mix ground beef, steak seasoning and steak seasoning sauce (use your hands, if necessary).
- Form meat mixture into 4 smallish flat patties.
- On grill (or stove-top), cook hamburgers to medium or medium-well.
- Remove the burgers and top each with a slice of cheese.
- Roll out the puff pastry, flattening slightly, and cut into 4 squares.
- Cover each burger with a piece of puff pastry, flipping it over and wrapping around the bottom and pinching to seal the edges.
- Place pies on ungreased baking sheet, pinched side down.
- Whisk egg yolk and 1 tsp water.
- Brush each pie with egg wash.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pie is golden brown.
- Serve with condiments of your choosing.
I love this recipe as well as my wife does. I've tried it several times. Yum! Dennis in Texas.