Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this when we are in the mood for something a "little different".
Make and share this Cheeseburger Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 9 in.baked pastry shell
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- Cook ground beef, green pepper, and onion in a large skillet until meat is browned, stirring to crumble meat; drain.
- Add 1/2 cup tomato sauce and next 5 ingredients, stirring well.
- Spoon mixture into prepared crust.
- Combine egg and next 4 ingredients, stirring well; spoon evenly over meat mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Combine remaining tomato sauce and chili sauce; serve with pie.
Wonderful, absolutely wonderful! I followed this almost to the tee - had to sub in green onions for the onions, as I had none on hand. The only change that I would add is to use a larger pastry crust if possible. I would have liked my "pie" to not be as full as it was. This was farely easy and tasted sooooooo good! I will be making this again very soon!
I'm giving this 5 stars because it brings back happy childhood memories and I love it. It's the same recipe my mom has been using since I was a tot. It's a bit similar to a quiche and it's even good cold the next day.<br/><br/>Two key points to successfully execute this dish <br/>1.Use LEAN beef. The grease from the fat will turn the crust to mush. I'd say 8% max fat.<br/>2.Use or make a crust just like you would for a traditional apple or berry pie. I've used frozen pie crusts and they're ok, but nothing beats a big puffy, flaky pie crust made from scratch. The crust really makes or breaks this recipe in my opinion.
I got mixed reviews on this one. Two of us loved the homemade pastry crust and the other two thought it was kinda weird and would have preferred a potato crust. I actually preferred this cold the next day - it reminded me of a meatloaf sandwich which I love. I will def. make this again and maybe try a potato or hashbrown crust to see if they like that better. Thx for giving me something different to do with ground beef.