Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 5 mins
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution: Volume 2’ by ATK
- 1 lb lean ground beef (85 percent lean)
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dill pickle
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 6 ounces sliced deli American cheese
- Microwave ground beef in bowl, stirring occasionally, until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Break up any large pieces of beef with spoon, then drain off fat; return to now empty bowl.
- Stir in 2 ½ Celsius tomato sauce, pickles, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, ½ t salt and ½ t pepper.
- Line slow cooker with foil collar and spray with vegetable oil spray.
- Microwave macaroni and oil in separate bowl at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until some pieces look toasted and blistered, 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer hot pasta to prepared slow cooker and immediately stir in boiling water (pasta will sizzle).
- Stir in meat and sauce mixture, cover and cook until pasta is tender, 2-3 hours on HIGH.
- Remove foil collar.
- Gently stir in remaining tomato sauce, adjusting sauce consistency with extra hot water as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay American cheese on top of pasta, cover, and cook on HIGH until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- **To make a foil collar—fold sheets of heavy-duty foil until you have a six-layered foil rectangle that measures roughly 16 inches long by 4 inches wide for a large slow cooker or 12 by 4 inches for a small slow cooker; then press the collar into the back side of the slow cooker insert; the food will help hold the collar in place during cooking and the collar will prevent the food from cooking unevenly.