Recipe by Barb in WNY
A family favorite
Top Review by npp3512007
As written, I give this recipe 4 stars because there are a lot of steps to the meatballs, browning, etc. I made it the second time and just browned and drained the meat, used dried onion flakes instead of powder and added about 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. This is a flexible recipe and could be made using other types of pasta such as rotini, macaroni or bowtie. Use 16 ounces water with two bouillon cubes (chicken or beef) and eliminate the other salt from the recipe. Use ketchup or chili sauce. This comes out to be more nutritious with calories @ 428, Sodium 440 mg and Protein 28 gms for 1 serving out of 6 servings. Exchanges: 3 lean meat. 2 starch/bread and 2 fat......and much quicker to make.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, onion powder, 1/4 teaspoons salt, and egg; mix well.
- Shape into 3 dozen 3/4-inch meatballs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. add meatballs and cook until browned on all sides. drain well.
- Combine chicken broth, water, ketchup, and remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt; add to skillet.
- bring to a boil, stir in noodles, making sure they are covered by liquid.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- stir in sour cream and cheese. Cook until heated through and mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.