This is a recipe that my Father-in-Law adapted to meet the needs of my cheese loving lactose intolerant Hubby. When we had it at his parent's I thought it was made with real cheese! That is how good it is! I just winged the recipe to recreate it and it is delicious! I still can't believe that it isn't real cheese!
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup galaxy foods soy Veggie Shreds cheese (cheddar flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 dash oregano
- 2 -3 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 medium chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon adobo seasoning (up to a whole tbs to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup (and some extra squirts for topping)
- sea salt (I put a dash)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Thaw meat in advance and place in a large mixing bowl.
- stir in bread crumbs, sage, coriander, Adobo, oregano, pepper and salt.
- Use hands to mix in eggs, ketchup, soy sauce, soy cheese and red onion (mixing in one ingredient at a time and being sure not to over mix-meat should not feel sticky.) Divide mixture in half and form into 2 loaves.
- Place loaves side by side (not touching) in a medium sized lasagna pan.
- Use fingers to open the top of the loaves and sprinkle in the garlic and add 1/2 a tbs of olive oil to each loaf and squeeze closed.
- Close loaves with hands and top with ketchup if desired (I highly recommend that part). Cook at 350 for 1 hour.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes and serve warm!