Recipe by carolinafan
Great comfort food.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Really good! The whole family enjoyed this. I used regular tomato juice and Vogue Cuisine powdered beef base, reduced sodium. My meatloaf needed salt (and I never use the salt shaker), but I suspect that had to do with my beef base. Easy enough to fix at serving or next time I make it I'll add 1/2 t. salt or use a different product. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
- 5 slices American cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice or 1⁄4 cup vegetable juice
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant low-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- chopped tomato (optional)
- snipped fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Cut each of three cheese slices into four strips; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg and tomato juice; stir in oats, onion, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules, garlic powder and pepper.
- Add ground meat; mix well.
- In a shallow baking dish shape half of the meat mixture into an 8x4-inch loaf. Make a 1/2 inch indentation down center of meat mixture.
- Arrange cheese strips in indentation.
- Shape remaining meat mixture over chees strips, pinching edges to seal.
- Bake about 1 hour or until done (160*F). Cut remaining cheese slices in half diagonally. Place on top of meat loaf. Bake until cheese is melted.
- If desired, garnish with tomato and parsley.