Recipe by lunargemz
I've come up with this recipe to try on my own. I've always used boxed macaroni and cheese, aside from melting cheese into hot pasta which doesn't have the same flavor. This expands upon a basic cheese sauce recipe, and if it comes out well, I will post this recipe on the site.
Top Review by firstname.lastname@example.org
This was good and fairly easy to throw together. I did make some adjustments to it. I halved the pasta and added a bag of frozen veggies. I also only had about 3 cups of cheddar cheese (not the other cheeses called for) so I used that and about 3 Tbs of butter and flour, and 2 1/2 cups of milk.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 lbs rotini pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 1⁄4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 1⁄8 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown the chopped meat.
- While browning the meat, prepare pasta according to box directions. Once pasta is done, transfer to a baking dish or casserole.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add 4 tablespoons of flour, and stir well to combine. Cook roux for about 1 to two minutes. Whisk in 3 cups of whole milk or half and half, and continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Fold in 2 cups shredded cheddar, 2 cups shredded monterey, and 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheeses until melted. Reserve the rest of the cheese for topping. Once the cheese has all melted, remove from heat.
- Add sour cream and mustard to cheese sauce, stir well to combine.
- Pour cheese mixture over pasta, and add chopped meat. Combine well.
- Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle a thin layer of breadcrumbs on top.
- Put in the oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling and bread crumbs are browned.