I saw Rachael Ray prepare this on her television show. It looks delicious! I made the tomatoes and pickles optional to suit my family's taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/4 cups yellow cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 1 1/4 cups swiss cheese, grated and divided
- 3 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 deli-style pickle, chopped (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 2Place a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- 3Add pasta to boiling water and cook just shy of al dente, according to package directions.
- 4Drain the cooked pasta and reserve.
- 5In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the ground sirloin with the grill seasoning, ketchup and yellow mustard.
- 6Grab about a tablespoon of meat in your hand and roll it into a small ball. Place the mini meatballs onto a baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- 7Turn off the oven and turn on the broiler.
- 8While the mini meatballs are in the oven, heat a large saucepot over medium-high heat with about 1 tablespoon olive oil, and the butter.
- 9Cook the red onion with some salt and pepper until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 10Sprinkle flour over top and cook for about 1 minute.
- 11Whisk in the milk, season with salt and pepper, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 12Remove sauce from heat and whisk in 1 cup of each cheese.
- 13Add the drained pasta to the cheese sauce along with the baked meatballs and toss to combine.
- 14Pour everything out into a casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and Swiss cheeses.
- 15If serving immediately, toss the mac under the broiler until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- 16Top with the chopped tomatoes and pickles, if desired, and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheeseburger Mac and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1201.7
- Calories from Fat 544
- Total Fat 60.4 g
- Saturated Fat 28.4 g
- Cholesterol 176.4 mg
- Sodium 675.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 59.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: