Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Paradise as is in West Africa and North Africa,! I came up with this burger because I wanted to use Grains of Paradise (if can't get Grains of Paradise mix black pepper and cardamom or just black pepper) then followed with paprika, garlic, chili, peanut butter, cabbage and tomato. For more authentic west African meal serve with fried sweet potatoes, cassava known as yucca. Take a look at this http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook/Burgers-132460 for instructions for a perfect burger.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 -2 small hot chili, minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grains of paradise, grounded
- 1 -2 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dry unsalted peanuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1 tomatoes, sliced
- shredded cabbage or lettuce
- 6 slices cheese
- Place meat in a large bowl.
- Pour oil and Worcestershire sauce over onions in a microwave proof bowl.
- Place in Microwave oven for 1-2 minutes to soften onions. Cool.
- Place all the rest of the burger ingredients in the bowl with the beef. Add the cooked onion mixture. Mix just to blend ingredients.
- Make 6 patties not handling too much and indent the center or make a hole through the center of the burger. The hole will close as cooks. This stops the burger from puffing to much in the center.
- Preheat grill on HIGH for 10 minute.
- Coat grill lightly with vegetable oil.
- Grill rolls, cut side down 30 seconds; remove and set aside.
- Sear meat on grill, about 2 min, until meat has changed color about one-quarter way up from bottom. Turn over. Sear 1 to 3 minute.
- Reduce heat to MEDIUM (for most burgers) or LOW (for burgers thicker than 1 inch); close lid.
- Cook burgers to 160 degrees internal temperature. Check by inserting digital thermometer halfway into thickest part of burger.
- Top with cheese; close lid. Grill until cheese starts to melt, 1 minute. Place each burger on rolls topped with cabbage and tomato. Go ahead and add some ketchup. ENJOY!
Tasty burger, very different from the "Normal" grilled burger. I wasn't to sure about this at first, But was pleased with the end result. I did not have any grains of paradise so I used fresh ground black pepper.