Recipe by yooper
This thick and hearty chowder comes from Sara Moulton's old Food Network show "Cooking Live." Perfect fare for a cold winter night!
Top Review by Evie*
Delicious, thick and creamy soup. I used 1 lb of ground beef and the cheese I used was New Zealands Chesdale brand (approx 250gram packet) Will definitely make this again, thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups cubed process American cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- chopped dill pickle
- chopped tomato
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saute pan brown the ground beef.
- Drain and set aside.
- In same saute pan saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender.
- Add garlic, carrots, basil and parsley.
- Saute about 3 minutes.
- Add broth and beef and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover, simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile melt remaining butter in a small skillet.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Gradually add evaporated milk, stirring constantly, cooking and stirring for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Gradually stir the sauce into the soup.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper.
- Continue to stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.
- Garnish each serving with chopped fresh tomatoes and dill pickle slices.