Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Creamy Cheddar Cheese Chowder with Ground Beef, Chunks of Potato and Diced Tomatoes
- 14 1⁄2 ounces ground beef (reserve fat)
- 3 1⁄2 ounces diced fresh yellow onions
- 2 3⁄4 quarts water
- 2 ounces cream soup
- 2 1⁄4 ounces beef base
- 7 1⁄4 ounces diced fresh tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese
- In a large soup kettle, saute ground beef and onion for 10 to 15 minutes or until beef is thoroughly browned, no pink and minimum internal temperature is 155 degrees F. (for 15 seconds).
- Break up meat into small crumbles as it cooks.
- Do not drain.
- Add water, cream soup base, beef base, potatoes, tomatoes and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.
- CCP-- Minimum internal temperature should be 155 degrees F. (for 15 seconds) or above. CCP-- Hold hot (140 degrees F. or above) for use.
- As needed for service, add 7 oz cheese to each 1 gallon soup mixture.
- Stir to melt cheese.
- CCP-- Hold hot (140 degrees F. or above) for service.