Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I was going through my recipes and came across this one that I haven't made in years - but I remember how much we used to like it. So I am posting it for my Recipe Book to make again and to share with you.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1 cup peas, undrained
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄3 cup milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 lb American cheese or 1 lb cheddar cheese, cut into eight 3/4 inch cubes
- Brown the ground beef and onion.
- Drain off grease.
- Add the rest of the casserole ingredients.
- Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- CHEESE FILLED BISCUITS Stir flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in shortening.
- Pour in the milk and stir until the dough sticks together.
- Knead 12 times on a floured surface.
- Divide into 8 parts.
- Wrap each piece of dough around one of the cheese cubes.
- Put each cheese filled piece of dough on top of the mixture.
- Bake 25-30 minutes at 425 degrees, until bread is done.
I wish I had a picture of this recipe to post with this review. It makes such a beautiful dish!!!! I made it as directed, except I didn't put quite as much cheese in the biscuits as directed. I just used what I had on hand. Thanks for the great recipe.
Very good family meal that kids like a lot. Thanks for sharing.
when do you know that the bread is done?