Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick and tasty main dish that can be served as a meal for it's self or with a garden salad.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (8 ounce) cans ready-to-bake refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese (Diced)
- 1 (12 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion (Chopped)
- 1 small bell pepper (Copped)
- 2 tablespoons garlic (Minced or Crushed)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large skillet or boiler pan brown the ground beef then drain.
- After the ground beef is browned and drained, add the the tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, bell pepper, garlic, seasonings and sugar. Cover and simmer on med-low heat for 45minutes to an hour stirring occasionally.
- During the last 15 minutes of your sauce simmering, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line your baking dish 9"x14"x3" (bottom and sides) with the canned biscuits starting with the bottom first then the sides and all touching. Press the biscuits all together to form a crust up to the top edge of your dish.
- Using a Soup Ladle or Coffee Cup evenly pour the sauce mixture into the center of the lined biscuits in your baking dish leaving a space of approximately one inch from the top edge of the biscuits. (Biscuits will rise during the baking period) Top sauce mixture with cubed cheese evenly. Place dish on cookie sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes or until the edges of crust and cheese is lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes then serve.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and sour cream (optional).
Excellent, easy weeknight dinner with items already on hand, cost was less than $10, feeds 6-8. I used jumbo flaky biscuits, and cheese slices instead of cubed. Worked great! Everyone loved it:)