Recipe by Jessica Costello
This is an old fav of mine. My mom used to make it for me as a kid. On my birthday, I would choose this over going out to eat! I make it very often now, my son loves it. I usually serve it with a salad or veggie sticks.
Top Review by Jellyqueen
Wee really enjoyed this casserole. I did size it down just a little and only used 8 slices of bread and 12 slices of cheese...I put the bread in the bottom, a layer of meat, cheese, another layer of meat, cheese and topped with bread and then poured the egg mixture over this. It was just perfect for our size family. Thanks for the great recipe.
- 12 slices buttered toast (butter both sides)
- 1 lb ground beef (browned & drained)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 eggs
- 24 slices American cheese (Kraft singles work great)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease casserole dish.
- Beat together mustard and eggs in small bowl.
- In separate bowl, mix beef, onion and celery.
- Place 4 slices of toast in bottom of casserole.
- Top with beef mixture.
- Top beef with 6 slices of cheese.
- Top cheese with 4 slices of toast.
- Continue layers.
- Pour egg mixture over casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and paprika.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes.