3 hrs 12 mins
Middle Eastern-inspired flatbreads from Arabic Chef Suzanne Husseini. from her cookbook "Suzanne Husseini's Modern Flavors of Arabia".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup za'atar spice mix (spice mixture with dried thyme)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb akkawi cheese (can use a combination of both or can sub any white cheese you like) or 1 lb mozzarella cheese (can use a combination of both or can sub any white cheese you like)
- 1In a large bowl mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Pour in the 2 tablespoons oil and the water gradually. Mix to form a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until the dough becomes elastic and smooth.
- 2Place in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Leave to rise in a draft-free place for 1-1/2 hours until it doubles in size.
- 3Cut the dough into 8 equal parts and shape into balls. Dust with a little flour and cover with a towel. Leave to rest for an additional 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 5Combine the za'atar and the 1/2 cup olive oil to make the topping. Shred the cheese and set aside.
- 6On a floured surface, flatten each ball and with a rolling pin roll into a circle of approximately 6-8". Place on greased baking sheets and spread the za'atar/oil mixture on some of the circles leaving a 1/2" border. Do the same for the cheese flatbreads. Use your fingers to spread the fillings evenly. Pinch and crimp the edges to create a decorative border.
- 7Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden, and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cheese & Za'atar Flatbread
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.9
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.3 mg
- Sodium 1423.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
za'atar spice mix