Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from an aunt who is a gourmet cook - classy! Great before or with dinner, in a gift basket with wine and cheese, part of a brunch, maybe even a football party, lol.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated (4 oz)
- In lg mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour with the yeast.
- In saucepan, heat wine, butter, sugar and salt until warm (115-120 degrees F), stirring constantly until butter almost melts.
- Add butter-wine mixture to dry mixture.
- Add eggs.
- Beat at low speed for 30 sec, scraping bowl constantly; beat 3 min at high speed.
- By hand, stir in cheese and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in lightly greased bowl, turning once.
- Cover and let rise until double (1-1/2 hr) Punch down, cover& let rest 10 min.
- Shape into 8" round loaf.
- Place in greased 9" pie plate; cover and let rise in warm place until double, about 40 min.
- Bake in 375 oven about 40 min, covering w/foil after first 20 min.
This recipe worked well but I wouldn't give it rave reviews. I made mine BTW in a regular loaf pan and it was great. The flavors were too subtle to make it outstanding but for a simple dinner bread it is fine.
Wonderful recipe. Used bread machine for the dough and rising process. Then baked per instructions. It did not take as long to bake as listed. Will be making again. Thanks winkki for posting. Will be filed with favorites.
This bread has incredible flavor! Rather than grating the cheese, I shredded it in large shreds, hoping to keep some larger bits in the bread. I let the KitchenAid do all the kneading, while I worked on the rest of the bottle of Chardonnay. :) Fantastic recipe, winkki--thanks to your aunt for sharing it, and to you for posting it!