Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My kids love these. If you aren't used to marmite you should make your first batch using only a thin layer of marmite and adjust future batches according to your own tastes.
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups luke warm water, plus
- 2 tablespoons luke warm water, plus
- 2 teaspoons luke warm water (105F/40C)
- 2 tablespoons fast-rising active dry yeast
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -4 tablespoons marmite
- 4 cups grated cheese (cheddar or combination of pizza cheeses, whatever you prefer)
- In measuring cup combine water, maple syrup and yeast. Stir together until yeast is dissolved. Set aside for 10-12 minutes until slightly foamy.
- In a large bowl combine flours and salt until well mixed. Make a well in the center and pour in the oil and the yeast mixture. Stir until all the flour in incorporated into dough ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface for about 5-8 minutes or until dough is pliable and elastic. Form dough into ball and place in lightly oiled bowl, turning once to coat dough surface with oil. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Keep one half covered while rolling the other half into a large rectangle.
- Spread 1-2 Tbls marmite thinly over entire surface of dough. Sprinkle liberally with cheese. About 2 cups. Roll longways into log. Cut the log into about 12 sections and place wheels cut side up on baking sheet. Bake at 180C/350F for about 15 minutes until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining dough or cut recipe in half for only one batch.