Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I enjoy savoury shortbread. I've tried it with various cheeses, spices and flavours, and this year I tried it with a little sweetness. These were perfect for an evening with good friends and good wine.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (careful if you're using a salty cheese)
- 4 cups grated flavourful cheese, at room temperature (I used a blend of old cheddar, Oka and Asiago, this is no time for mozarella and colby)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- milk, to moisten
- Preheat oven to 400°F Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream the butter, spices and salt. Add the cheese, walnuts and cranberries and blend well. Mix in the flour until crumbly. Add the milk, a teaspoon at a time, until the dough just barely comes together. I may have used a tablespoon or so.
- On a floured board, work with half the dough at a time. Bring it together with your hands and roll out to 1/4" thickness. Cut out into desired shapes, place on prepared sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes, until light brown. Cool on wire racks and store in an airtight container.
- Makes about 5-6 dozen, depending on size.